The Albert Gallatin Area School District formed July 2, 1951. Originally it was composed of the Masontown and Point Marion schools. These schools originally housed their own high schools and junior high schools along with many one room school house buildings throughout the townships served. The original merger created one high school that was built on land originally owned by Albert Gallatin, U.S. Secretary of Treasury (1801-1814). The Point Marion and Masontown buildings became junior highs/elementary buildings. The one room school houses were eliminated.
The Fairchance-Georges and German Township schools officially joined the District on July 1, 1965. The district was composed of three separate high schools: Fairchance-Georges, German Township and Albert Gallatin. Four district junior highs and seven elementary schools made up the remainder of the district. It was not until the 1986-1987 school term that the district consolidated the three high schools into one and the four junior highs into two schools. In addition, the Point Marion Junior High/Elementary School was closed. There are now six elementary schools within the district.
Saturday, October 25, 2014